Arezzo and its treasures

Basilica of San Francesco and Piero Della Francesca’s frescoes

Basilica of San Francesco

Arezzo and its treasures – The Basilica of San Francesco is one of the oldest and most famous churches in Arezzo and Tuscany. In thirteenth-century Gothic style, in the fourteenth century it underwent extensive modification. The facade, rebuilt in 1346, was never finished and some of the works to complete the structure are still visible outside. The simplicity of the structure recalls Franciscan aesthetics and from the outside it’s difficult to imagine the pictorial heritage kept inside the Basilica of San Francesco.

Arezzo and its treasures: “Legend of the True Cross” by Piero Della Francesca

The pride of this pictorial heritage is the cycle of frescoes by Piero Della Francesca that illustrate the “Legend of the True Cross”. Commissioned by the rich family of Bacci, the frescoes were painted between 1452 and 1466 to decorate the family chapel behind the main altar, the Bacci Chapel.

The walls of the basilica were once completely covered with frescoes dating from the second half of the fourteenth century to the whole of the fifteenth century by well-known masters from Arezzo and beyond. Today many of these works have been lost, others are partially visible.

The great crucifix on the altar is also beautiful, a work attributed to Duccio di Boninsegna and most likely datable to 1289, the year of the reopening of the church for worship. Chapel on the right, which is not architecturally part of the church, is dedicated to Sant’Antonio da Padova, while the recently restored cloister has a well in the center – known as della Bufala – which was built by Ferdinando dei Medici in 1590 .

Basilica of San Francesco overlooks the square of the same name, an ideal starting point for visiting the artistic beauties of this city.

Holiday house in Arezzo’s area

La Basilica di San Francesco

La Basilica di San Francesco rappresenta una delle chiese più antiche e famose di Arezzo e della Toscana. In stile gotico duecentesco nel Trecento, inoltre, subì un’ampia modifica.  La facciata, ricostruita nel 1346, non fu mai terminata ed alcuni dei lavori per il completamento della struttura sono ancora visibili all’esterno. La semplicità della struttura richiama all’estetica francescana e dall’esterno è difficile immaginare il patrimonio pittorico custodito all’interno della Basilica di San Francesco.

La “Leggenda della Vera Croce” di Piero Della Francesca

Fiore all’occhiello di questo patrimonio pittorico è il ciclo di affreschi di Pier Della Francesca che illustrano la “Leggenda della Vera Croce”. Su commissione della ricca famiglia Bacci, gli affreschi furono dipinti tra il 1452 e il 1466 a decoro della cappella di famiglia posta dietro l’altare maggiore, la Cappella Bacci. Le pareti della basilica erano una volta completamente coperte da affreschi databili dalla seconda metà del Trecento a tutto il XV secolo eseguiti da noti maestri aretini e non solo. Oggi molti di questi lavori sono andati persi, altri infine sono parzialmente visibili.

Bellissimo anche il grande Crocifisso dell’altare, opera attribuita a Duccio di Boninsegna e databile molto probabilmente al 1289, anno della riapertura al culto della chiesa. La cappella di destra, che non fa parte architettonicamente della chiesa, è dedicata a Sant’Antonio da Padova, mentre il chiostro, restaurato di recente, ha al centro un pozzo – detto della Bufala – che fu fatto costruire da Ferdinando dei Medici nel 1590.

La Basilica di San Francesco si affaccia sull’omonima piazza, punto di partenza ideale per visitare le sue bellezze artistiche di questa città.

Casa vacanze sulle colline di Arezzo

Lascia un commento