historical village on Crete Senesi hilly landscape
Serre di Rapolano’s village is located on top of a hill in the magnificent Crete Senesi area about thirty minutes from Siena.
Serre di Rapolano on Crete Senesi hilly landscape was born in the Byzantine era as a castle and maintained this function until the Middle Ages. The defense system consisted of walls, a “Cassero”, towers and fortified gates. Many of these are visible today too.
There are three access gates to the village: the perfectly preserved Sant’Andrea’s gate to the south; Porta Serraia’s gate to the East; Porta di San Lorenzo also called “dell’Apparita” to the West.
From Porta Sant’Andrea we arrive at a square where is located the Cappella di Piazza, a small brick loggia dating back to the Middle Ages. The building is characterized by four arches and the remains of some fifteenth-century frescoes are still visible.
Crossing Porta Serraia we find the Palazzo Gori Martini with the travertine facade. Beside the palace there’s the Church of Santi Lorenzo e Andrea. It’s documented since 1252, but its current appearance is the result of extensive restoration in the 20th century.
The Grancia and Oil Museum is worth a visit, documenting the history of the ancient fortified farms (the Grance) and a journey through the oil production cycle and its processing.
Thanks to the presence of thermal springs, Rapolano Terme, few km from Serre di Rapolano, is the ideal place for a day of complete relax. Here there’re two spa with water that flows at a temperature of 39°: Terme di San Giovanni and the Antica Querciolaia.